6000 COLLEGE BLVD., OVERLAND PARK, KS 66211
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
SATURDAY, JUNE 7, 2014
FROM 2:00 PM UNTIL 7:00 PM.
ENTRANTS LEAVE MODELS OVERNIGHT
JUDGING & PHOTOGRAPHY WILL BE
FROM 7:00 PM UNTIL COMPLETION AND IS
CLOSED TO ALL ENTRANTS & PUBLIC
Vendors may unload merchandise and displays if they wish starting at 6:00 PM on Saturday but no setup will be permitted until
Sunday morning at 6:00 AM.
Slammers’ members will be on-site continuously and provide security from 4:00 PM Saturday until after Sunday afternoon’s clean-up.
SUNDAY, JUNE 8, 2014
Swap Meet, Model Display, and Awards
9:00 AM - GENERAL ADMISSION BEGINS
3:00 PM - CONTEST AWARDS PROGRAM
FOR CONTESTANTS, THE FEES BELOW COVER
BOTH CONTEST REGISTRATION AND SWAP MEET
ADMISSION on Sunday.
17-adult : $15.00 for 1st 10 models ($1.oo per model after the first 10 !)
12-16 : $10.00
JUNIORS (12 & under) : FREE
GENERAL ENTRY ADMISSION ON SUNDAY:
$5.00 (kids under 12 are free)
2014 CONTEST CLASSES (May be some changes for 2014 - but not many)
JUNIOR OPEN CLASS (Russ Johnson Award)
For ages sixteen and under. Open to any style of motor vehicle of any scale. All work on the model must be done by the entrant.
ADULT / CHILD (Russ Johnson Award)
A joint project between an adult and a child age twelve or under. The child must be responsible for at least half of the finishing and construction work. Open to any style of motor vehicle of any scale.
For ages seventeen through infinity. Entrants from younger age groups may compete in the adult classes if they desire. All work must be done by the entrant. All classes are for 1:24 - 1:25 scale models, unless otherwise noted.
1. Out of Box…Built from kit parts only. No parts swapping or aftermarket allowed. Paint, foil, decals & flocking are allowed. Filler may be used to correct “sink marks” or
other manufacturing flaws. Documentation of the base kit instruction sheet must be displayed with entry.
2. Modified Out of Box…Built to follow Out of Box rules; however, parts from any other kit may be used if unmodified and documented. No aftermarket parts allowed.
The base kit’s instruction sheet and a list of swapped parts must be displayed with entry.
3. Showroom Stock…Documented factory-produced vehicles as they were when they were new. Paint, upholstery, body trim, & all other details must replicate stock items. Factory
available options are OK. Documentation such as dealer brochures, magazine articles, etc. (copies OK) must be on hand to show authenticity.
4. Street Rod…Production vehicles 1948 and earlier that display a stock or nearly-stock production body with modified or enhanced engine, chassis, and interior. May also be newer,
non-production vehicles built in the street rod style in the manner of Coddington, Buttera, Foose, Brizio, etc. - Billet and IFS allowed.
5. Nostalgia Rod...Vehicles 1948 or earlier that display a stock or nearly stock production body with modified or enhanced engine, chassis, and
interior features - in the manner of traditionally built hot rods - NO billet or IFS.
6. Street Machine…Vehicles from 1949 and later which display a stock or nearly stock production body with modified or enhanced engine, chassis, and interior features.
7. Mild Custom…Vehicles from any era exhibiting minor changes. Examples - frenched headlights, trim removal, rolled pans, different taillights or bumpers, bolt-on fender skirts, etc. No major changes as listed in Radical Custom.
8. Radical Custom…Vehicles from any era exhibiting major changes. Examples - chopped tops, sectioning, shortening, stretching, channeling, molded-in fins, or reshaping/replacing major body panels.
9. Lowrider… Vehicles with paint, interiors, chassis, etc. which replicate the lowrider style. Static models only. No working dance/hop models.
10. Tuner…Any American or Foreign vehicle with 4 or 6 cylinder motor built to replicate the latest “Tuner” style.
11. Pro Drag… 1980 and later straight-line acceleration competition vehicles equipped with open, lift-off or flip-top bodies or quarter panels. Includes dragsters, funny cars, pro stock,
pro mod, exhibition cars, etc.
12. Nostalgia Drag… Drag vehicles using pre-1980 body styles and design, although with possibly newer safety equipment. Includes front engine dragsters, gassers, altered wheelbase
cars, funny cars, roadsters, etc.
13. Utility Vehicle… Any all-terrain vehicle, sport utility vehicle, pickup, 4-wheel drive, Jeep (or Jeep Style), Van, or sedan delivery without commercial markings!
14. Light Commercial…Service vehicles such as delivery, police, fire & rescue, etc. with 1 ton or less capacity. Shall have appropriate markings.
15. Heavy Commercial…Service vehicles such as trucking, construction, fire & rescue, & others with over 1 ton capacity. Should have appropriate markings.
16. Small Scale…1/100 to 1/32. No restrictions on type of motor vehicle.
17. Intermediate Scale … 1/20-1/12. No restrictions on type of motor vehicle.
18. Large Scale…Larger than 1/12. No restrictions on type of motor vehicle.
19. Pro Street…Competition inspired but street legal vehicles modeled in the pro street style.
20. Curbside…Model which does not employ an opening hood, doors, or trunk, and is not meant to display engine or chassis detail. Judged as if parked at the curb, without
access to the underside. Any vehicle.
21. Slammer…Model which does not employ an opening hood, doors, or trunk, and the interior is fully enclosed by a top and blacked-out windows. Judged for visual impact only.
22. Diorama (Monica Cozine Award)…A scene or display that depicts a specific moment in time or tells a story. Any operational elements needing electricity must be powered by
batteries located within or near the entry. Electric power will not be made available to any entrant.
For dioramas over 2 ft. in dimension, make arrangements with the contest organizers.
23. Motorcycle…2- or 3-wheeled vehicles, any scale.
24. Open Wheel Racing...ANY open-wheel racing car, including land speed cars - except drag racing. Any scale.
25. Closed Fender Racing… ANY closed-fender racing car, including land speed cars and NASCAR - except drag racing . Any scale.
26. Miscellaneous…Any non-military vehicle that somehow does not fit into any other class. Any scale.
27. Works in Progress…Any type or scale of model in progress that isn’t more than 75 % complete.
28. Military (automotive related) … any non-track automotive-style vehicle used by any military force from any nation. Any Scale.
MASTER and SPECIAL AWARDS
HEARTLAND NATIONALS CHAMPION (Clyde Young Award) - Presented to the show’s best example of what scale modeling is all about!
THE TITUS BROTHERS CREATIVE CONCEPT DESIGN AWARD - In the spirit of the way Elden Titus used scale-models to plan and execute his full-size custom designs, this award will be presented to a scale-model Kustom vehicle that exhibits originality, radical thinking, innovative design, and quality craftsmanship.
BEST INTERIOR (Don Goodman Award) - Best detail and craftsmanship displayed in the execution of a model’s interior
BEST DETAIL - The overall model exhibits a high level of quality details and craftsmanship.
BEST PAINT - Best exterior finish most accurate to the model itself.
BEST ENGINE - Best execution of detail and accuracy in the engine compartment.
BEST FORD - Any Ford Motor Company subject from any era.
BEST CHEVY - Any Chevrolet subject from any era.
BEST MOPAR (Kevin Barns Award) - Any MOPAR subject from any era.
BEST FOREIGN - Best model of an actual automotive subject produced by a non-USA automotive company.
BEST OF THE REST - Any car produced that doesn't fit into one of the other categories.
BEST THEME—( Ford Mustangs) - Model best reflects the theme of the contest for 2014.
LONG DISTANCE AWARD - Presented to the entrant that travels the greatest distance to enter the contest.
PEOPLES’ CHOICE - Voted on by everyone attending the contest.
BEST PRESENTATION - Awarded to recognize the best display or documentation accompanying a model. Not a diorama display. This award is not based on the model - just the presentation - the display base, the documentation. It’s the presentation that counts!
VIP’S CHOICE - A selection by the Heartland Model Car Nationals’ special guest or guests
CONTEST TIPS AND GUIDELINES
DOCUMENTATION ALLOWED - Judges cannot be expected to be familiar with every kit or vehicle produced. Any information you can share about the finer aspects of your model will insure those things will not be overlooked. The best thing you can do, besides building it well, is to type or print a listing of what you did to build your model & how you did it. List kits & parts used, details, techniques, modifications, and anything noteworthy. This goes for all classes from box stock to primer projects. MAXIMUM PREFERRED SIZE for such documentation is ONE single 8 1/2 x11 typewritten page.
ENTRANTS MUST DO THEIR OWN WORK - All contest models must be the product of the entrant’s own craftsmanship.
HANDLING OF MODELS - Models may be picked up by the judges for closer inspection. If your model needs special handling, note it on the entry form and contact an event judge.
NO SWEEPS RULE - Under IPMS Guidelines, No single modeler may win all three awards (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) in any one judging category.
In consideration of the acceptance of the right to participate , entrants, participants, and spectators release and discharge the KC Slammers, the City of Overland Park, the Overland Park Convention Center, the State of Kansas and their officials, directors, employees, agents, representatives, and servants, and anyone else connected with management or presentation of the Heartland Model Car Nationals of and from any and all known damages, injuries, losses, judgments, and/or claims from any cause whatsoever that may be suffered by any entrant to his person or property. Further, each entrant expressly agrees to indemnify all of the foregoing entities, firms, persons, and bodies, of and from any and all liability occasioned or resulting from the conduct of entrants or any participant assisting or cooperating with entrant and under the direction or control of entrant.
Click on the O.P.
Convention Center picture
for directions and lodging information
Click on the KC skyline picture to go to “Visit KC.com” and get exciting info about our city!
Awards for every class!
and... A special award
for the Best Theme Entry
Any Mustang, any year, any version, any style.
GO FOR IT!!!!